4 weeks work at the cabin

Plywood roof. Roll off the tarp that is the temporary weather proofing.

Plywood roof. Roll off the tarp that is the temporary weather proofing.

How long has it been since Doug built the cabin and not complete insulating the wall or finishing the roof? 8 months. The cabin was closed in and we could camp out in it, but it would be nice to have it finished right…

The time has come for us to finish before it gets cold in winter, plus all that non rainy and great summer warm is making it pleasant to be working on it now. … actually, the great summer heat is making it too warm inside the cabin and we missed the insulation very much too. So here we are, very motivated to finish this project in these few weeks break in our summer cruising.


The completed roof with solar panels in place.

The 1st tedious things to do, sweep all that tree debris that’s collected over 8 months, bring up the very heavy rolls of roofing materials, roll back half the tarp that is the temporary weather proofing to expose the plywood, tack down 2x2s that is for hold the foam insulation….

After many days of cutting and putting on the foam insulation on the whole roof, carry up sheets of plywood to overlay the whole roof. Lay the tar impregnated felt and tack it down. Cut the rolls of asphaltic roofing to length, tack it on starting from lower edge, glue down overlapping edges with tar glue compound…

Looking at the 4 fallen trees from the roof.

Looking at the 4 fallen trees from the roof.

Okay, it took 10 days to finish the whole roof… longer that we thought it would, but we did it right. No haunts! As Doug might say.

It the meantime, we still have trees that need to come down and undergrowth to clear for the drain fields. I choose the areas to work on and leave running the machinery to the man 🙂

Sap coming out of the stump next morning

Sap coming out of the stump next morning

Next, the wall insulation… which Doug did mostly on his own while I clear the tree cutting mess…. ya know, its rainy leafs and branches amidst the field of long logs which are too heavy to move without a loader or something. So I have to cross country to clean up the mess.

Sugar snap peas ready to harvest.

Sugar snap peas ready to harvest.

It takes about 1 week for me to completely clean up after each tree that comes down… as Doug might say, I bonsai the branches… pile the leaves for compost, separate the twigs for the dump run, cut the small limbs to 16″ lengths and stack them to dry for tinder, and neatly stack the limbs to dry for firewood. See, its not that easy to clean up my way… which is why most people don’t and are happy to pay the contractors to bring everything to the dump.

1st snap pea harvest. Only 3 for today.

1st snap pea harvest. Only 3 for today.

Flower stalk just emerging from the corn plant.

Flower stalk just emerging from the corn plant.

Since coming back, I been monitoring and  tweaking the drip feed system everyday. The plants seem to enjoy the attention that I have been giving it. In return, I get a early harvest of snap peas… A total of 10 snap peas in the week before we head back to Calliste.

Its flowering onion!

Its flowering onion!

Also my 1st time planting onions. I did it with seedlings from the nursery and didn’t know what to expect. Seeing it go into the flowering stage was unexpected, so I had to research and now I know that there is such a thing as onion seeds. I wonder if I would get any from this bloom.

And look at how fast the corn plant is growing! At least 1″ everyday, Doug says. And the flower stalk is just emerging… Will we get a corn harvest when we return in Aug! Time will tell… but I am very hopeful…

I am certainly very happy with the cabin temperature now. It gets up to 100F when we 1st got back. Now it doesn’t get above 85F in a sunny summer day, and settles at 75F by bedtime. Just perfect for us. It still cools down overnight to 65F in the early mornings, so I start a small fire. Sometimes I get too much flames, making too warm and now the insulation is keeping the heat in too well… have to open the door to tune down the heat. Who would have thot that insulating the roof and walls made so much difference.

0 Responses to “4 weeks work at the cabin”

  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Sailing 2015: Port Townsend(WA, US) -> Costes Island (BC, Canada)

Sailing 2013: Singapore -> Okinawa -> Kobe

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 65 other followers

Locations of visitors to my blog

I've been hit!

  • 82,623 times

RSS BlackMaMa’s Blog

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
August 2015
« Jul   Sep »

Please drop a penny


Bailey Boat Cat

Adventures of a feline afloat!

Snails & Slugs

The fascinating world of gastropods

Vitae - A Photographic Journey

Finding 'Balance in Life'. A lifelong objective through Photography and Literary Expression


WordPress.com is the best place for your personal blog or business site.

%d bloggers like this: